Friday, January 28, 2011

Mai Yer Chang/Artist Statement

    My name is Mai Yer Chang. Back in the days, I’ve always wanted to be a photographer as I was growing up. I’d always take pictures, but I never took good and satisfying pictures. They weren’t interesting and they didn’t stand out. I wanted people to see what I see, so I figured that taking pictures that show something interesting would be a great idea. I think that we all need to realize that everyone has their own imaginations and abstract minds. I’ve finally realized that, after seeing other student’s, everyone tries to find the best and most interesting way to express themselves.
    So, as a beginner at photography, I had no clue what was right or wrong to do. I’m one of those people who like to tilt the camera at different angles. I just always thought that it looked nice, and that it was what photographers do, but I was wrong. I learned that it makes the photo look non-professional. Either you hold the camera horizontally or vertically, not diagonally! It’s a big no-no. One thing I did that I knew would make me successful in photography was the rule of thirds. I learned about it from art, and used it as a reference in my photography. It sets an even and better view, especially for landscapes.
    Having good lighting in a photo was what I always attempted to do. I learned about different lightings. There’s natural lighting, artificial lighting, etc. I used a lot of natural lighting in my photography, because I like bright pictures; it brings a good mood to the person looking at the photo. When I’m indoors, I use artificial lighting. Our house doesn’t have that much lighting from outside, so I use lamps to do my lighting. One thing that helped me learn about better lighting was looking at Annie Leibovitz’s photos. She uses really good lighting and she knows which angle would create the perfect picture. I also like how she uses both natural and artificial light.
    Adobe Photoshop… I’ve heard about it, but have never used it. It’s a program with lots of tools you can use to edit photos. There’s a variety from cloning tools, paint bucket, blur tool, magic wand, desaturating/saturating effect, adding text, etc. to adjusting the brightness and contrast, adding noise to a photo, lighting effects, and EVERYTHING; you name it. It’s an amazing program that I recommend other to use. It’s fun, pretty decent, not hard to use. It creates a whole new look to a dull photo, believe it or not!
    After watching a video called Helvetica, I definitely learned a lot about typography. I like the creations that are made, simply by taking a few words and slapping it onto an image. The photo may be boring, but you can use Adobe Photoshop to create a better look, then add on words from poems, stories, or make up our own words. It could definitely change the way people view the photo. It’s very interesting how you can combine words and images to make others visual and think a lot about why that person decided to combine those two things together. Also, I realized that I have a tiny habit of trying to interpret the feeling behind a person’s typography photo.
    This yea has been great! I learned many steps to taking a perfect picture. In a few months, I feel like I’ve accomplished something big. Now, I feel more confident in taking pictures, and feeling good about it. I hope to find myself taking more pictures in the future. I want to show others how much I’ve improved in my photography skills. It’s all based on you and your creativity. Everyone starts from scratch, and grows as time goes by. All you have to do is put a little time into what you do, and you’ll succeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment